Thursday 25 October 2007

Follow Up News

In a hurried letter to my daughter Lauren, I wrote the following (after speaking to her at length on the phone)


Hi Lauren,

Sorry about the bad news, and breaking it t you over the phone; but I couldn’t withhold telling you any longer.

I was hoping for a better result and would then have told you after it was all over; given that there was nothing you could do and you had enough on your plate.

I have been avoiding talking to you for a while … you read me too well! I have known for a long while, but that’s another story.

I told Bob and Sheridan (not a good response) after Grace’s birthday party along with Ken [Marg’s brother] and Nan [Marg’s mother].

Ken I told first and privately so that he could keep an eye on Nan in the days immediately afterwards - just in case he and Anne left early – he has been very supportive. Nan was understandably upset but also very supportive.

I’ll ring again soon … you asked for the results and the upcoming tests … here they are:


• 21st September – GP

Blood work


• 27th September – GP

Blood work results

PSA levels:
Normal (0-3.5)
Mine (84.8)


• 19th October – Urologist/Surgeon

Rectal Exam
Large mass (prostate)


• 25th October – Urologist/Pathology

Intra-rectal exam/biopsy

Severity/Grade (0-10):
7 is average, Mine 9

Type of cancer:
“The worst f---king one you could have…” – the Surgeon’s response

Prognosis:
Worst Case: 12 – 18 months
Best Case: 3 – 5 years (optimistic)


27th October – Pathology

CT scan
TBA


• 2nd November – Pathology

Isotope Bone Scan
TBA


• 13th November - Urologist/Pathology

Scan Results
TBA

No comments: