Tuesday 20 November 2007

LHRH Implant

I attended the Urologist's Surgery in St Leonards today, to receive an injection of a luteinising hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH)- specifically a 'Goserelin acetate implant' (the generic name) or Zoladex (the product name).

Now, all of that 'techno-babble' translates to: 'A whopping, great needle (the size your grandmother used to knit with) is thrust (I DO mean thrust) into a fold in the skin covering your stomach area! Don't beleive me? Watch the video and see for yourself!


Now what [precisely] does all this mean? Well ... I'm glad you asked.

Let me ask you ... Have you heard of 'castration' (ouch)?

Yes ... well this is the medical equivalent!

The good news, is that you don't undergo a surgical procedure to remove your testicles (ouch again). The bad news, you are injected with a small implant which (in my case) lasts for about 13 weeks. This has the effect of neutralising the production of testosterone, both in the testes and elsewhere.

I was told that: "most men who undergo 'medical castration' will experience a loss of sexual desire and impotence. In addition, hot flushes frequently occur. However, medical castration is 'potentially' reversible. If treatment is stopped, testosterone is produced once again".

I wasn't quite sure what to expect after this, but since several weeks have now passed, I can attest to the following:

The downside to this treatment is that while you still look like a male; [assuming you did in the first place] you begin to feel decidedly like a female (or, 'she-male').

Quite seriously, I have days when all I want to do is cry! Other days my moods swing violently from one extreme to another and back again. Most days, I'm plagued by 'hot flushes'; so much so, even my 'menopausal' wife is feeling sorry for me!

The GOOD news however is, my PSA level has dropped by a whopping ... 71%!

HE-male? She-male? Who cares! The treatment is working!

Well that's about it for now ... I've just gotta go and have myself measured for a 'training bra'! The things we men have to endure!

No comments: