Thursday 29 November 2007

Side Affects

Since my last post, I have found that I am easily able to report (objectively) about my progress on Hormone Therapy etc - see 'My Journal'. But it has become increasingly difficult for me to share (subjectively) on this blog. Let me try to explain.

Firstly, I find report writing/research comes very easily. But (like most men) 'opening up' and 'sharing' my emotional (or worse: psychological) responses/reactions is quite a chore. But for the sake of completeness, perhaps some cathartic release and the hope that others may benefit; I will make an effort.

At this point (if you haven't already) it would be useful to review this post; to gain some understanding of the range and complexity of the side affects of Hormone Therapy. This will help you to understand the potential stressors that the body (and mind) need to endure. Particuarly given that unlike chemotherapy, once you begin Hormone Therapy there is no respite until the treatment is over i.e. the implant in your abdomen is constantly releasing the testosterone-blocking agent into your system, for up to 13 weeks.

Most patients continue Hormone Therapy for at least 6 months before any (short) respite. This is of course dependent upon individual circumstances. Sometimes this respite period is used to introduce a 'complementary treatment' (in my case an 8 week course of radiotherapy) before re-commencing the Hormone treatment.

Where to start? In my last post, I spoke about having the LHRH implant injected into my abdomen. Well since then, I have experienced quite a range of side affects; beginning about a month afterwards and varying in intensity, duration and frequency.

The most annoying, initially were the 'hot flushes'. These would often occur at night, and along with the frequent 'urination' would be responsible for me experiencing a lot of broken sleep.

The scene at night in our bedroom; at times (I'm sure) took on a rather comical note. Picture: my menopausal wife, suffering with hot flushes; alternatively 'throwing off' and then 'retrieving' the bed covers. While meantime I entered and left the bed at random intervals (for trips to the bathroom) and then returned to join in the 'chorus' of: 'off again' ... 'on again'! Sometimes in synch, but mostly at odds with my (long suffering) wife!

Needless to say neither of us have been able to achieve much in the way of (consistent) quality sleep!

I know what some of you are thinking: What about separate beds? Well we considered it; but after nearly 36 years of marriage and overcoming (together) so many of life's hurdles, we decided to tackle this one together as well - with the help of electric fans and staggered bed times and a range of other 'aids'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The scene at night in our bedroom; at times (I'm sure) took on a rather comical note. Picture: my menopausal wife, suffering with hot flushes; alternatively 'throwing off' and then 'retrieving' the bed covers. While meantime I entered and left the bed at random intervals (for trips to the bathroom) and then returned to join in the 'chorus' of: 'off again' ... 'on again'! Sometimes in synch, but mostly at odds with my (long suffering) wife! "
Oh I'm sorry, but this had me laughing out loud. A definite inclusion for your book.