Monday 1 September 2008

August Update

Changes:

• The fatigue continues and has worsened somewhat. This seems to occur every time I have a new Zoladex Implant (every three months). The first few weeks or so the side effects seem to be heightened.

• The hot flushes continue but with less frequency and duration. Shortness of breath continues and had worsened somewhat - see point 1 above.

• Night urinations have increased to 2 or 3 per night!! Might have to discontinue my last ‘cup of tea.’

• Sleeplessness is now almost a thing of the past! I sleep very well now (between ‘pit stops’)

• Tiredness has also increased – see point 1 above!

• Sensitivity of the skin IS a thing of the past.

• Hair loss - chest, stomach, under the armpits - continues but is not a problem. Less shaving required now!

• Breast (nipple) soreness and sensitivity are gone.

• Cognitive Impairment continues to improve; largely because I am forcing my brain to remember even small details - the old adage applies here - use it or lose it!!

• Confusion only rarely becomes a problem, because of the above strategy.

• Memory loss has eased considerably - again because of the above strategy!

• Berocca; my 'High protein' energy drink (a breakfast supplement) and Glucodin have all been suspended in favour of:

Propolis - a product of honey, which has proven results for empowering the immune system; Sage – improves memory; improved, well-balanced diet; and, a milk substitute with added calcium and vitamin D – to prevent bone thinning.


Unchanged:

• My attitude is increasingly positive!

• Bowel movements remain good.

• I have maintained a weight loss of 2.5kgs - still 6kgs to go!


While it is important to exercise sufficiently each day to stave off bone thinning and muscle atrophy; it is also important to allow your body sufficient rest each in regard to the Radiation Therapy!

I have had to ‘work’ at balancing these two; it was only when I considered just how much my body was damaged during the Radiation Therapy that I was able to fully understand the importance of maintaining this balance!

No comments: