Saturday 20 October 2007

Trans-rectal Biopsy

Even now, I shudder at the thought of my first (and hopefully) last encounter with what is technically known as a: "TRUS" or 'trans-rectal ultrasound'. Let me explain.

Firstly, you are forced to re-visit a previous indignity. Lying on a table, in a foetal position; exposed (again) and just waiting ... anticipating, another 'probe' by a well-meaning doctor!

You tell yourself, that this time you are ready; even though the probe this time is a mechanical device and not a human digit. What you are NOT aware of however, is the design.

Then … the 'intrusion' and the 'awakening'! THIS probe has sharp edges - OUCH.

"Hey doc ... I have a friend who is an engineer, I'm sure he would be willing to chamfer the edges off that thing! Is it supposed to scrape its way, all the way to the desired destination"?

"Sorry ... can you FEEL that"?

"Feel it? Hell I can feel every move (twist and turn) that you make"!

"Sorry we'll give you some more local anaesthetic ... you shouldn't feel anything after that".

"I do apologise for that but because of HIV/AIDS, we have had to re-design the probe somewhat".

"How's that now?

"Much better ... thanks"!

Just a little Pinch

As the 'probe' reached its intended destination, the doctor explained, that he was about to penetrate the prostate (via the rectum) and then 'fire a gun'. I would then hear a 'clicking sound' (which he then demonstrated) that would 'pinch out' (ouch) samples of the prostate for the biopsy. This did not sound like something I was going to enjoy ... I was right.

I lost count of the number of 'shots' that were 'fired', but I seem to think it was somewhere in the order of 12-16 ... at least that's what it felt like.

I should explain that the tumour was particularly HARD on one side, and required extra effort to penetrate before a shot could be fired!

So much force was applied, that at one point it put pressure on my diaphragm and subsequently my heart and caused my blood pressure to drop to the point where I almost passed out!

We paused at this point and allowed by blood pressure to rise again. Then we started over!

As we moved on to the 'other side', to my great relief; the probe penetrated easily and without any discomfort!! (That rules out the thought that the doctor was using a 'blunt' needle!!)

Soon, the procedure was over. I was left a little worn out ... and sore ... but otherwise OK.

The drive home was a little difficult. Mostly, because finding a comfortable seating position, proved to be a 'mission impossible'!

Needless to be say, I had much to think about over the next few days.

No comments: