Friday 15 February 2008

Urologist Visit

Today, I took myself off to the Urologist's surgery; armed with a page full of questions. The questions looked something like this:

  1. What if anything, can be done about the fatigue?
  2. Should I be concerned about the 'shortness of breath'?
  3. What about the dizziness?
  4. Should we consider addressing the cholesterol level at this time?
  5. What about the ... 'blood in the ejaculate'?
  6. What can I do about the 'hot flushes'?
  7. Um ... ah ... what about ... um ... 'breast tenderness'?
  8. Is the weight gain something to concern myself about at this time?
  9. And the blood in the ejaculate?

Well ... during the course of the consultation, the doctor managed to:

  1. Answer some of the above.
  2. Avoid some of the above ("I wouldn't worry about that").
  3. Delegate the responsibility (to answer) the remaining questions to a colleague - "You can talk to the Radiation Oncologist about that.

Don't you just love it when doctors are able put your mind at ease!


Radiotherapy

The upshot of the visit was, that we now move into a new phase of treatment - 'Radiotherapy' (RT) as an adjunct to the Hormone Therapy (HT). The latter will most likely continue for approximately 18 to 24 months. However, there is a possiblity that I could be on HT for the remainder of my life; dependent upon the success of the radiation treatment.

[It has also been decided at this stage, to rule out surgery; because of the likely complications; both during and after the operation].

Radiation Therapy will entail daily radiation treatment, 5 days a week for approximately 6 weeks; (with Saturday and Sunday ... 'off for good behaviour').

Unfortunately this will also involve short stays in hospital for each subsequent treatment; thus further complicating my desire to lead as normal a life as possible e.g. juggling work committments, cancer therapies and home and social life etc.


LHRH Implant

Of course, the main purpose for my visit was to receive another injection of a luteinising hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH)- specifically a 'Goserelin acetate implant' (the generic name) or Zoladex (the product name).

Don't ask me why, but ... I asked to be able to inject myself on this occasion, not sure why now; but it seemed like a good idea at the time! Well according to witnesses (the doctor and my wife) I was a real 'pro' (professional).

The instructions were simple: "Grab a good fistful of excess skin ... (to the left of the 'belly button') ... and in one swift downward motion plunge the syringe into the abdomen right up to the hilt! Then depress the plunger and this will release the implant."

Well I must admit, in some strange way, I actually enjoyed the experience!

Perhaps it was because I was 'in control'; for the first time since the cancer was discovered. Perhaps it was the release of adrenalin, associated with the whole procedure; I'm not sure.

However, afterwards I do recall the doctor stating: "Very well done ... but ... I'm still charging you for the procedure, even though you administered the implant yourself"!

The success of this treatment (in my case Goserelin 10.8mg every 3 months) will continue to be be monitored by regular blood tests which look specifically at the Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) readings.


Summary

In what follows, I'll attempt to summarise my position at this stage. I must add, that most of what follows has been determined by the research that I have undertaken on my own behalf.

While I have been priveliged to have the services of some very good professionals available to me throughout this ordeal; none of them (including my GP who is only new to me) has assumed the role of case manager and walked me through the necessary (often daunting) steps.

This I believe is often a serious flaw in the current treatment of cancer patients. Even though my Urologist has a clinical nurse assigned to liaise with his cancer patients, she has been unable to answer my questions, on at least 3 occasions and was away at a 'course' (yeah you guessed it - the course entitled 'How to Comfort Cancer patients') on the fourth occasion. Suffice to say: 'I wasn't all that comforted'!


As to life expectency:

We still have 3 to 5 years 'on the table', with the qualifier ... it could be a few years longer!

The PSA level is "coming down very nicely" but at 4.8 (normal being 0 to 3.5) and with a Gleason score or 9 (out of 10) there is still the possibility that the tumour has breached the boundaries of the capsule (Prostate Gland). If so, it is hoped that the Radiation Therapy (in combination with the HT) will effectively deal with such a breach.

NOTE: There is currently NO cure for Prostate Cancer once it has spread beyond the capsule. Current therapies can only 'buy some time'.


As to the side effects:

Hot flushes, Cholesterol, fatigue, shortness of breath and dizziness can all be managed by medication; according to my own research.

Weight gain is amenible to exercise, but some may be inevitable.

Blood in the ejaculate? To quote the Urologist: "We don't need to worry about that; it's quite common for blood to be still present in the semen at the 3 month mark. But that's something you can ask T... ('Dr. T' - Radiation Oncologist) about as well".

And finally, with regard to 'breast tenderness, a short zap with 'radiation' (while undergoing RT) can deal with this once and for all!

No comments: