Friday 14 March 2008

MRI and CT Scans

Off We Go

In order to beat the morning peak hour traffic congestion; I set off for the MRI and CT Scans at 6:00am - accompanied by a 'full bladder' and my (long suffering) wife.

Now, the first appointment wasn't until 7:30am and we only live 25 minutes drive from the hospital (when traffic is free flowing) but even at such an early hour, traffic on the North Shore of Sydney is unpredictable. As it happens, we arrived at the hospital at ... 6:28am!

Oh well, at least we were 'on time'!


We then headed off to find the MRI rooms in the vastness of the very large, major metropolitan hospital. Having found the MRI rooms we then decided to have breakfast in the (very well equipped) modern cafeteria - YUM!

I had been given strict instructions, to empty my bladder first thing in the morning and then to ensure that it was 'comfortably full' again before the MRI and to repeat this process for the CT Scan which was scheduled for 8:30am.


MRI Scan

Next thing I knew I was laying on my back, stripped to my jockey shorts (garbed in a rear-opening gown) and being told to relax. Relax? There in front of me loomed the vast expanse of the MRI machine. This large roundish metallic object sported a rather smallish opening and was shortly to engulf me!

Well ... there I was ... gowned, sporting a set of head phones (to muffle the loud noise the MRI makes and permit me to hear the operator - just) with a blanket draped across my legs ... swallowed up by this iron monster. When I opened my eyes to take in the view from within the 'mouth' of this thing, there was barely enough room to accommodate my head! Or so it seemed!

I had been told to stay as still as possible! But just in case I panicked ... a bulbous rubber object was laid across my chest which I could squeeze! This I was assured would initiate an immediate evacuation procedure! Well now, I felt re-assured!

About 45 minutes later I emerged from the MRI no worse for the wear and a little dazed - I had been meditating and the time just flew!

"Piece of cake ... no ... that was breakfast."


CT Scan

Arriving at the CT Scan rooms I was ushered in and told to stripped off from the waist down - leaving my jockey shorts on to preserve a modicum of dignity, though they may as well have been removed as it turned out!

Next I was laid on a 'slab' and the technicians proceeded to measure me (with rulers and pens in hand) and then, once satisfied with their measurements, they began to 'mark me' for the upcoming scan! In the meantime, I was told to "just lie there as a dead weight" thus allowing the technicians to 'manhandle me into position'!

Talk about feeling like a side of beef about to be turned into bar-b-qued steak in the over-sized microwave, directly behind me!!


Well ... it was then, that I had fulfilled, another life-long dream ... I always toyed with: 'getting a tattoo'!

In order to expedite the subsequent treatments, my 'markings' were made permanent by the technicians 'tattooing all three of them with indelible ink under my skin'!

Then we were ready, the technicians retired to the (safety) of the ante room to view the procedure (B-B-Que) on the large screen. I was told that I only had to wave and they would stop the procedure.

"Lazy bastards"! I thought. "Let the 'meat' tell you when 'it' is done"!


Well ... the procedure went well up to a point! The technicians were able to determine that the 'gold seeds' were positioned well and all seemed good, but because my rectum was enlarged (read full) we had to abandon the procedure - 'for now'. Then ...

You guessed it ... off to the men's room, an 'enema' in hand, to 'rectify' the full rectum!!


Take Two

All went well after emptying the bowel/rectum and re-filling the bladder. With a subsequent good result; I was dismissed from the CT Scan area and ushered to a waiting room to receive further instructions regarding the upcoming Radiation Treatment.

Then it was off home ... after emptying my bladder AGAIN!

No comments: