Thursday 27 March 2008

Radiation Therapy Commences

Well as noted in the most recent post, my Radiation Therapy commenced a couple of days late. Well ... today was the day! And so off I went, ready for my first experience of Radiation Therapy; flanked by my wife, my daughter AND her two children both under two years of age!

We actually caused quite a stir amongst the nursing staff as both of our grandchildren are (I must admit) quite adorable!

Then it was off to the 'loo' to empty my bladder and then to refill it again with at least '500 mls' of water.

Having taken care of the bowel and rectum situation earlier in the day (with a trusty suppository) I was quite confident that there would be no unnecessary interruptions this time!

Next it was time to undress and put on my specially selected gown - see photo below.




Banjo wanted to give grandad a hug before he headed off! Not sure if the hug was for me, or whether he wanted to see all the brightly coloured, smiley faces.




Then it was to the treatment room for the procedure, with my own doctor (my daughter Lauren) present to oversee the whole event; both in the treatment room and later at the monitoring station. See below:



Now, I'm sure that someone is asking: "Was it uncomfortable?" Well ... yes ... but not in the way you might think! The ONLY discomfort I felt ... was looking at the photos afterwards!

I have never been overweight in my life; but look what 'Hormone Therapy (LHRH implants) does for you! I have gained (for me) a whopping 9 kgs!

More to follow...

No comments: