Saturday 8 March 2008

Whoops ... Where did everything GO!!

Just when I thought I was 'out of the woods' ... more medication and more side effects!

I started taking 'Anandron' (an anti-androgen) a few weeks ago in order to maximise the 'androgen deprivation' therapy I'm on - you can read more about this on: "My Journal".

Basically, this aids in depriving the prostate cancer of ANY testosterone; most of which (90-95%) is produced by the testicles but some (5-10%) is produced by the adrenal glands. While this treatment maximises the possibility of 'tumour shrinkage', it also introduces further (unwanted) side effects.

Added to the 'hot flushes', 'dizziness' and 'fatigue'; we (don't forget my long-suffering wife) now have to contend with ...

'Nausea', 'increased fatigue' and 'photo-sensitivity' (of the eyes)!

The increased fatigue is by far the worst (physical) side effect as this really knocks me around! The good news however, is that after 4 weeks on the Anandron (nearly there) the dosage drops back to just one; instead of two, tabs. The not-so-good news is that this coincides with the commencement of the radiation therapy; which has the effect of ... you guessed it ... increasing fatigue!

The nausea, is something that I'm gradually geting used to, but the 'photo-sensitivity' (PS) has only just ... 'reared its ugly head'!

I guess I can't grumble too much, as the PS only really affects me when driving of a night-time; which is now 'off limits'! The only other draw back, is when driving in bright light and then suddenly entering a tunnel or a low light area such as an undercover parking area.

Imagine my surprise just the other day, when I drove into an undercover (read low light) car park ... when I suddenly had to grind to a halt; as everything went ... BLACK!

A bit scary and more than a bit embarrassing!!


Well ... suffice to say that life has been a bit rough lately. Now, added to all of this ... my greatest challenge to date:

"I'm becoming a real sook"!!


If I'm not crying, I'm on the verge of crying! It is downright embarassing, not to mention unwelcome!

"What I wouldn't give for a good dose of testosterone right now ... wonder if there's a 'black market' for the stuff"!

Not only that, but I find myself, more often than I care to admit, avoiding people-contact; mostly because of the increased (emotional) 'stress' (now) involved.

This of course, makes it difficult to keep up with my busy and engaging social calendar! Oh the sacrifices, one is forced to make!

Life in the love nest is also under considerable strain (no testosterone ... limited libido ... the thought is there ... but) thank God for an understanding and (very) loving (and patient) wife!!

No comments: